Pakay Tours offers you a variety of different trips and activities in the rainforest of the Napo Province, for the duration of one or several days depending on your personal preferences. On your tour you experience the rainforest with its fascinating plants and animals and the indigenous culture of the Kichwa. We carry out our explorations on foot, by canoe, car or bus, and there are many opportunities to bathe in the clean and refreshing water of the beautiful rivers and waterfalls. On canoe trips the water enthusiasts can also do “tubing”: floating on the river on huge rubber tubes.
On the jungle hikes you can embrace trees, taste lemon ants, dress your hair using a “monkey comb“ and, as in the movies, swing on lianas like Tarzan. Besides all the amusement there are always expert explanations concerning the flora, fauna and ecology of the rainforest.
The Kichwa culture can be experienced in lots of ways: visiting a community, harvesting yuca together with the local people, brewing and tasting chicha, enjoying a traditional meal, or learning about how to grow and harvest cacao. There are also a few museums set up by Kichwa families where you can learn about traditional Kichwa life and, for example, try out a blowgun!
Another very special event is a visit to Don Jaime, an experienced shaman, who enjoys demonstrating his huge knowledge about the medicinal plants of the rainforest and explaining the traditional medicine and spirituality of the Kichwa to his guests.
The accommodation during multi-day trips is in traditional style jungle cabins – sufficiently comfortable for the purpose. All our tour guides are professionals and competent in spoken English and German. On multi-day trips the guide is also joined by an assistant.
Families with children are also welcome to join our tours. We gladly adapt the programme to suit their needs.
The prices of the trips depend on the number of persons and on the activities. They vary between 25 and 45 USD per person and day (including accommodation and all the meals on the multi-day trips).
Rates: $30 – $75 per person for our full day options, depending on the activities and group size
There are different hiking options available, please ask for detailed information about the rainforest hikes if you´re interested.
Tour activities around Misahualli
The waterfall hike can be taken as a half-day trip or combined with a visit at Piyu Yaku, as a full-day trip. This includes a visit of Misahualli where you can observe the capuchin monkey population of the village.
Cascada de Latas:
Indigenous community of Tiyu Yaku:
- learn about traditional pottery production, hunting with the blow gun and panning for gold in the Napo river
Canoe roundtrip on the Napo river
- drive to Ahuano where we start our tour by canoe
- visit of the kichwa-museum “Sacha Samay” (chance to see various elements of the kichwas` ordinary and spiritual life and hunting methods, and to try yourself with the blow gun)
- tubing – on great tires we float down the river to our next visit point
- lunch on the beach
- visit of the “AmaZOOnico”, a wildlife rescue centre with various species of the Amazon region and a releasing project
- drive back to Ahuano by boat from where we continue to Tena
Tour activities around Cotundo and Mondayaku
Caves “Temple del Shaman”, Mondayaku:
- hike through the caves
- canyon hike with the possibility to swim in a natural pool
Archaeological park of Cotundo:
- petroglyphs that were carved in the rocks about 2000 years ago
Tour activities around Talag
- hike up a small mountain river with several waterfalls
Guaysa Yaku and Jatun Yaku:
- swim in beautiful natural pools and visit of the rock formations along the Jatun Yaku river